8.05.2009

I Have a New Hobby

Well, not a new hobby really, but a new way to do it. I now go to horror movies in theaters, alone, on my days off. Seriously. Do you know how difficult it is to get people to go see horror movies with me? Extremely. I have all these chicken-ass goody goody 'friends' that are repulsed by a good scary film. So, instead of trying to talk them into it, and when they say no, trying the next cowardly friend, I've simply made the plans and gone alone. And let me tell you, it's preferable. Early afternoon movie showings are not only a little cheaper, but, they're extremely uncrowded. For example - the early bird showing is only $5.50 instead of $7.50 for matinee. Last Wednesday I went and saw Orphan, and I was literally the only one in the theater. Last Monday I saw The Collector, and was one of only three people inside.

Why didn't I think of this sooner?

I've been collecting ticket stubs for years (kind of goofy, I know) and this is upping my collection at a very nice rate :)

So you want to know how the movies were, yes?

I was disappointed with Orphan. Not that it was bad, because it wasn't. It just wasn't as good as I'd hoped. The twist though, was really a twist, and surprised even me (and as in love with horror as I am, that's not easy to do). The characters were believable and the actors sold their parts. Isabelle Fuhrman did an exceptional job in her role as the orphan. I'm not exactly sure why I wasn't as impressed as I expected, so definitely see this one for yourself. I have a coworker that absolutely loved this movie. But me, I give it 6 stars out of 10.

The Collector is definitely a movie in the vein of Saw. It is NOT up to Saw's standard though, at least not yet, but not a very long stretch either. There will be more Collectors in the future, perhaps another half dozen sequels. The movie has gore, it has terror, it has the realism factor of Saw. In my opinion it fell a little short in the time line category. No spoilers given in this post, but I'd like to have known how and when the house was set up the way it was. It doesn't detract from the flow of the movie, really, it just seems to me there should have been a little more by way of explanation. But, again, this very well could all be explained as the series plays out.

That said, I give The Collector 8 out of 10 stars. It's a need-to-see. Especially if you like Saw.


Now speaking of Saw, as I do quite frequently the closer VI gets to making it's appearance, I ordered movie posters for Saw II, III, IV, and V. I haven't yet found one I really like for the first Saw, and the one I want for VI is the one I posted previously. Here are the ones I bought:

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, August 08, 2009 , Blogger tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

 
At 2:21 PM, October 24, 2009 , Blogger Nomad said...

thanks for the reviews... since you are a horror movie buff and i love being scared. i was wondering. what are your 3 favorite horror flicks of all time, and what 3 do you think are the scariest? they may be the same 3 but they may not... i love hearing what other people find scary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...