12.13.2012

Battle Wound Boo-Boos

So the inevitable happened this evening. See for yourself:



Honestly, I'm mildly surprised it hasn't happened sooner since I run in the dark, on the sidewalk, and the sidewalks around here are disastrous. Tonight was the night. Tonight I did part of my route in reverse. At about the 3.5 mile mark, I hit gravel and that's all she wrote. Of course, it was a relatively busy street.. Of course. Nor did I hit the pavement with my usual style and grace - although my dramatic flair remained intact. I sat there for a moment, after doing the damage you see to my palms, slapped together a few new expletives, and realized I'd landed on my left knee, too (that's gonna hurt in the morning and tickle up the runner's knee, no doubt). I dragged myself to my feet, took a few steps to make sure nothing was broken, and mainly for my wounded pride and breath-holding (I'm sure) audience, I started running again. For another mile and a half; a grand total of 5 miles this evening.

I got home to learn I'd taken a little chunk out of my left elbow as well, but my knee didn't bleed at all and was only bruised. I showered - and think the pain in my hands could have been lessened by just cutting them off. An hour after my little incident, I've bled through three band-aids already. Yes, I'm a nurse. No, I'm not prepared for pavement diving.

My first running wound. *sigh

P.S. If you're ever running and you have side stitches or shin splints, or sore muscles, the secret to continuing running is to hit the pavement. You'll no longer feel any other pain.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...